Thursday, January 10, 2008

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot


I seem to recall my parents telling me long ago that I should read this book because they believed I would like it. Something about my parents recommending a book didn't sit well with me at the time, so of course I didn't read it. But I should have - I loved it!

The book follows James right after he finishes veterinarian school and gets a job in the farming community in the Yorkshire Dales in England. The book takes place in the 1934's, I believe. It is full of funny accounts of what a country vet in the early 1900's had to do. Each story is wonderfully told, and you definitely feel like you are right there with James as he travels across the country, tending animals and meeting very colorful characters in the process. James is in a vet practice with two brothers, Sigfried and Tristan, who also contribute to the lively stories.

The book also has a bit of a love story, but it was refreshing that the book wasn't about the love story between James and his wife-to-be Helen. I think the book was almost 3/4 of the way through before you even met Helen.

I can't wait to read the next installment of life as a veterinarian in the Yorkshire Dales - All Things Bright and Beautiful!

No comments: